Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Let Justice Roll - Amos 5:24

My son came home today glad for the "A" he got on the presentation he made in his English class this afternoon. But he was totally bummed out, anyway. His paper was on the role of propaganda in the genocide the world let happen in Bosnia a decade or so ago. As we were making dinner tonight, he said, "The world is messed up." And he's right, of course. On the other hand, today my stepdaughter participated in her high school's version of the "National Day of Silence," in support of gay & lesbian rights. She wore a T-shirt that said "My best friend is gay...and my moms are, too." On the back it said, "Got anything to say to that?" Tomorrow, my son is attending a rally in Springfield, in support of school funding reform in the state of Illinois. He's taking a bus down state along with 75 other kids from his school. And I was in the crowd of 150,00 marching for immigrant rights today. Some of my photos are posted here. There weren't any church bodies represented at the march, as far as I could see. But there were unions. And the Human Rights Campaign. And a lot of very ordinary people who are just sick and tired of not having a voice. I wore a T-shirt that said, "Let Justice Roll - Amos 5:24." Got anything to say to that??

No comments:



The Bottom Line

For you were called to freedom, brothers and sisters; only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for self-indulgence, but through love becomes slaves to one another. For the whole law is summed up in a single commandment, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." - Galatians 5:13-14